Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Disappointing day at Okalipuram

I was really looking forward to fabric shopping today but didn't get much at all! :( I feel so bad. I went to my regular shop but the guy who I normally deal with was not there. So that was the first thing. Then I managed to find four fabrics that I think will go together for baby quilt and I kept looking for more but somehow... nothing worked. Then I asked for muslin which I normally buy from them and they said they didn't have it and don't keep it!I think that put me off! So I just bought what I had put aside and came away. I guess I could have stayed and kept looking but I don't know... just didn't work.
I went to the other shops as well today. But they are more expensive that my regular... and nothing seemed to catch my attention. The trouble is having to match the fabrics... if I could just keep buying and stocking and waiting for things to fall into place it would all work out. But I need fabric that goes together now. Grr. 
Sigh. Anyway... let's hope for a better trip next time. I really need to find an alternative to this. Buying fabric online doesn't work out for me. And I really want to work locally...SIGH SIGH SIGH!!!

11 comments:

  1. Hi
    How great to come across someone who quilts in India! I really like your blog. I know how frustrating it is to look for fabrics....I use handloom mostly, as these are Indian and hence easy to get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brinda...the handlooms are easier and I was thinking I should try more of those. However, the dark colors run... which is also a problem. :) Anyway... I will keep looking for options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also try a cotton fabric called poplin. It is cheap and in any number of colours. A tip to fix handloom colours. Soak the material for a couple of hours in a bucket of water with a generous amount of salt in it. It normally fixes the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try that. I thought poplin had some mix in it. Anyway. Will check it out. And will try the salt remedy. Used to do the rock salt thing with my salwars but I guess "generous" is the key. :)Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol,

    This is kind of a strange questions, but you seem like a great person to ask: Where can a guy find 150KG of rags/waste cloth. Clean, no buttons or zippers.

    Someone told me that Okalipuram was a good place to look and directed me to your site.

    Any ideas/leads?

    Thanks!

    Rama

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol,

    This is kind of a strange questions, but you seem like a great person to ask: Where can a guy find 150KG of rags/waste cloth. Clean, no buttons or zippers.

    Someone told me that Okalipuram was a good place to look and directed me to your site.

    Any ideas/leads?

    Thanks!

    Rama

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi , was really nice to come across your blog , i too have taken to quilting . You mention Okalipuram , i have never been there , i wanted to know specifically which shop to go to in Okalipuram ?
    would be very helpful if you could guide me .
    thanks
    Sudnya

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI! this is Malati,I used to buy curtains from Okhalipuram and I loved them! Can someone tell me if we still get good curtains at great rates there? I plan to travel all the way to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malati. I remember seeing curtains when I used to go there... haven't been in 3 years so not sure.

      Delete
  9. Hi guys,
    i want to buy thick fabric for pillow case and other fabric for sewing boxes,cases etc, where exactly i need to go in okalipuram for fabric purchase.Iam new to banglore so a exact lane address would help

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new to this and I am dying to explore this place.Is there any bus from konankunte to okalipuram?? Pls someone help....

    ReplyDelete