Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Project


I have been waiting to sort of freely associate with fabric and sew out of the box. But I felt that I should first learn a few traditional blocks at least before I do my own thing.

I love patchwork quilts and the intricacies of the designs. And I want to master them. But I have only given my spirit wings and so would like to see what lies beneath the structure and the precision.

I had such fun starting this off. It's mainly fabric leftovers from what my practice blocks but I really enjoyed it. I kept thinking that when you do free style kind of sewing then you need to let the cloth speak to you.



I put a square of red on the cloth and instantly thought of the poem - The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams. My professor who taught is American Literature wrote the lines of the poem on the board in his introductory class and began the semester from there.

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens
              - William Carlos Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment